Casa Vacanze Orta San Giulio

Lake Orta Vacation Rentals


Casa Vacanze Orta San Giulio

Lake Orta Vacation Rentals




Orta San Giulio (NO) - Italy

Mobile phone:

Holiday apartments on Lake Orta




Casa Vacanze Orta San Giulio  -  Made by FLAZIO |COOKIE POLICY|PRIVACY POLICY|


Download GPS track

Starting and arrival point: Pella (310 m a.s.l.)
Major points of interest: Pella, Ronco di Sopra, Ronco di Sotto, Colma, Grassona, Egro, Mount San Giulio.

Our tour starts from Pella, renown tourist resort on the western shore of Lake Orta. After leaving the car at the cemetery parking we head north along the quiet paved road that leads to the village of Ronco. The road, open to traffic but almost without the presence of any vehicle, goes for about 3 km along the lake shore, offering magnificent views of San Giulio Island and of the northern part of the lake basin. Along the way, together with some equipped staging points, we can see some curious works of stone painting, trying to enhance the boulders used as protective walls, and at km 1,3 the small chapel of Madonna dei Pescatori, snatched from the waters.
Once reached the hamlet of Ronco, we suggest you to spend a bit of time exploring this fascinating and little known location, with beautiful houses, mysterious alleys and a nice small marina. At the center of the village stands the Church of San Defendente, dedicated to the Roman soldier who was a protector against the plague. Back on our steps we take the cobbled mule track which, passing behind the cemetery, leads into the woods.
After about 15 minutes of a quite demanding climb, we arrive at the village of Ronco di Sopra, consisting of a few scattered houses and of the Oratory of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (better known as the Oratory of San Giulio), a religious building of the 17th century with 15th-17th century frescoes. We continue our walk to the hamlet of Colma, from where we can see from above the village of Cesara. Worth mentioning, just at the junction with the main road, the Oratory of St. Francis of Assisi and, beyond the road, an old oil mill. We visit the small town of Colma and then follow the indication for the walk to Grassona. The road becomes a wide path that runs along the crest of the hill to rejoin with the paved road, after about 600 m.
We continue our journey up to Grassona, where we can admire the ancient medieval village, the Parish Church dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul (1568) and several votive chapels. In this area there were carried significant archaeological excavations, revealing the presence of artifacts dating back to the Neolithic period (4.000-2.000 BC), now preserved in the Archaeological Museum of Mergozzo. A little further to the west of the village we can also find a big erratic boulder, carried by the glacier, carved with petroglyphs ("masso coppellato"). Near the restored ancient washhouse, behind the soccer field, there are some interesting information panels.
At the Parish Church we take the old road to Egro, an ancient path surrounded by the woods that leads us to the Church of the Rosary (16th century), near the cemetery. We continue following the directions to "Egro centro". Shortly before the town, with a 5 minute walk we can reach the top of the hill (south flank of Mount Camosino), where were installed some signal repeaters.
After passing Egro (worth to mention the Church of the Nativity dated 1780), we follow the direction to Mount San Giulio going through the belvedere. Once back on the paved road we begin to go down and, just before the bridge over the River Pellino, we turn left onto a dirt road that leads us back to Pella.

Create Website with | Free and Easy Website Builder